Greetings, cybernauts! Today, we’re going to dive into the topic of Email Plus or Plus Addressing, a method designed to help you control the leakage of your personal data.
What is Email Plus or Plus Addressing?
This is a method in which you add a “+” to the main part of your email (before the @ symbol), and then add any word or combination of characters after it.
For example, if your email is firstname.lastname@example.org, it can become email@example.com.
A tool like Plus Addressing can help you track down sources of information leakage. If you register on a new website using this method, for example, firstname.lastname@example.org, then if you receive spam to this address, you will immediately understand who “sold” your information.
This method is also known as “email tracking” and “subaddressing”, but the most popular is “Plus Addressing” and “Email Plus”.
Where and how to use Email Plus?
In addition to tracking data leakage sources, Plus Addressing offers a number of other features:
- Organize your email: this allows you to filter incoming emails by category automatically.
- Software testing: Developers can use this method to quickly create unique accounts by bypassing the creation of new email addresses.
- Security: allows you to strengthen your defense against intruders.
- Marketing: Sub-addressing allows you to track the effectiveness of various marketing campaigns.
How to create an Email Plus or Plus Addressing?
Creating an Email Plus is a simple process that can be done in a few steps. It is important to note that some services may not recognize the Email Plus format, and in such cases, you will have to use your regular email.
- When registering on a new website, enter your email.
- Add a “+” to the main part, followed by the word or combination of characters that denotes the site or service.
- Confirm your registration as you usually do.
In the future, when you receive an email to this address, pay attention to whether its content corresponds to the service for which you created this address. If not, congratulations, you have identified a potential source of data breach.
Email Plus or sub-addressing is a powerful tool that helps you control information leakage and improves your cybersecurity. If used correctly, it can bring you significant benefits. It’s time to become the master of your information, and Email Plus is a step in the right direction.